Valdes-Scantling is Scintillating
Marquez Valdes-Scantling ("MVS") was one of three rookie receivers drafted by the Packers last year, in an attempt to infuse speed, youth, and talent into a receiving corps that had lost its luster when Jordy Nelson left town. Unfortunately, the trio didn't get an opportunity to put their best foot forward, as they were caught up in the maelstrom of a Packers locker room deeply divided by a star quarterback who had come to blame his head coach (and play-caller) for the Packers ineptitude. Aaron Rodgers frequently berated the young receivers and fixated on throwing to Davante Adams -- his only trusted playmaker -- to the detriment of the team's overall productivity.
But hope springs eternal, as Matt LaFleur takes over as head coach and is promising a more creative, explosive, and adaptable passing attack. In order for LaFleur's plans to come to fruition, one of the Packers young receivers has to emerge as a viable every-down alternative to Adams. While nothing is set in stone, and a lot can change as training camp and the preseason get underway, right now the savvy move is to draft Valdes-Scantling as your WR4 or WR5 in the 10th round or later, and possibly reap the rewards of a breakout WR2 if the dominoes fall into place.
- Aaron Rodgers remains one of the league's best passers
- The No. 2 receiver in an Aaron Rodgers-led offense has the rare combination of a high floor and high ceiling
- Marquez Valdes-Scantling is the best of the Packers young receivers
- Valdes-Scantling has made believers of all the key people in the organization, from the GM to the new coaches to Rodgers to Davante Adams
- New head coach Matt LaFleur is promising a more aggressive, adaptable, and productive passing attack
Stating the Obvious – Aaron Rodgers' No. 2 Receiver is a Fantasy Asset
It shouldn’t take a Ph.D. in statistical analysis to know securing the No. 2 receiver role in an Aaron Rodgers-led offense has historically been a good thing.
Continue reading this article with a Season Long Pro subscription.
"Footballguys is the best premium
fantasy football only site on the planet."
Matthew Berry, ESPN